See All test questions
Questions 1-4 refer to the following information.The data below concerns the general animal body plan of five organisms.
Questions 1-4 refer to the following information.
The data below concerns the general animal body plan of five organisms.
1. The two most closely related organisms are
2. The correct order of evolution for the traits above is
3. Pre- and post-zygotic barriers exist that prevent two different species from producing viable offspring. All of the following are pre-zygotic barriers EXCEPT
4. Birds and insects have both adapted wings to travel by flight. The wings of birds and insects are an example of
Questions 5-7 refer to the following information.The following synthetic pathway of a pyrimidine, cytidine 5' triphosphate, CTP, begins with the condensation of two small molecules by the enzyme, aspartate transcarbamylase (ATCase).
Questions 5-7 refer to the following information.
The following synthetic pathway of a pyrimidine, cytidine 5' triphosphate, CTP, begins with the condensation of two small molecules by the enzyme, aspartate transcarbamylase (ATCase).
5. Which of the following is true when the level of CTP is low in a cell?
6. This enzymatic phenomenon is an example of
7. The biosynthesis of cytidine 5'-triphosphate requires
8. Here is a sketch of a molecule of the sex hormone, testosterone, that is derived from cholesterol.
Which of the following statements best describes the action of this hormone on cells of the human gonads?
9. Mice are mammals. As such, they are endotherms. They maintain internal heat metabolically. A lizard is an ectotherm and gains its body heat from the environment. Which of the following graphs most accurately depicts this situation?
10. Which of the following is a direct result of depolarizing the presynaptic membrane of an axon?
11. There are two types of enzyme inhibition: competitive and noncompetitive. Competitive inhibitors compete with the substrate for one active site, while noncompetitive inhibitors bind to another part of the enzyme and alter its shape. Malonate is an inhibitor of the respiratory enzyme succinate dehydrogenase in the following reaction.
Which of the following choices best describes the best way to determine whether malonate is a competitive or a noncompetitive inhibitor of succinate dehydrogenase?
12. Water climate diagrams summarize the climate for a region. Average temperature is shown on the left axis, precipitation on the right axis, and months of the year on the x-axis. Assuming that a major limiting factor for plant growth is availability of water, choose the graph below that depicts the region with the best conditions for plant growth.