See All test questions
1. Here is a figure showing the change in one ancestral population of birds over time.
Which of the following statements best supports the evidence presented in the picture?
2. Which of the following statements is correct about the DNA content of a particular diploid cell just prior to mitosis if the DNA content of the same diploid cell in G1 is X?
3. Which of the following sketches shows the correct way in which two nucleotides pair up in a molecule of DNA?
Which of the following statements is correct about the plant cell structure shown?
5. Except for identical twins, no two people are genetically identical. Which of the following statements most accurately describes the main source of variation in humans?
6. β-thalassemia is a disease that strikes mainly people of Mediterranean and Asian descent. It involves a flaw in the gene that codes for β-globin, one of the protein chains that make up hemoglobin (Hb). A trial was conducted. The patient in this trial was typical of individuals with β-thalassemia. He needed monthly blood transfusions and daily treatments to lower blood iron levels. In 2007, when the patient was 19 years old, scientists removed some of his bone marrow cells and treated them with a modified virus that was engineered to carry a good copy of the β-globin gene. They infused the repaired cells into the patient. After several months, the scientists assessed the patient. Here is a graph of the results.
Which of the following statements is supported by the information provided?
7. This graph represents three idealized survivorship curves for different populations.
Which of the following statements correctly explains the information shown on this graph?
8. The agave, or century plant, generally grows in arid climates with unpredictable rainfall and poor soil. The plant exhibits what is commonly called big bang reproduction. An agave grows for years, accumulating nutrients in its tissues until there is an unusually wet year. Then it sends up a large flowering stalk, produces seeds, and dies.
Which of the following statements gives the most likely explanation for how the agave plant has evolved this unusual life strategy?
9. Which of the following statements is NOT correct about apoptosis?
10. Here are drawings of four amino acids.
Molecule A is serine and has polar side chains. Molecule B is lysine, which is basic and positively charged. Molecule C, glutamate, is acidic and negatively charged. Molecule D is glycine. It has nonpolar side chains.
Which of the following statements is correct about these amino acids?
11. Which of the following statements describes the structural level of a protein that is least affected by hydrogen bonding?
12. Which of the following characteristics would allow you to distinguish a prokaryotic cell from an animal cell?