AP Chemistry Question 431: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
9. The photoelectron data for sodium are shown below.
Photoelectron Spectroscopy Data Table for Sodium
|Binding Energy (MJ)||Relative Number of Electrons|
Which of the following statements is not true about this data?
- A. All 11 electrons are shown in the table.
- B. The 3 valence electrons have the lowest energies at 0.50, 3.67, and 6.84 MJ/mol.
- C. The p electrons are all at the same energy of 3.67 MJ/mol.
- D. Electrons closest to the nucleus have the lowest energies.
Correct Answer: B
(B) Sodium has only 1 valence electron, not 3.