See All test questions
Questions 1-11 refer to the following information.The following excerpt is from Joseph Conrad’s The Secret Sharer.
Questions 1-11 refer to the following information.
The following excerpt is from Joseph Conrad’s The Secret Sharer.
1. Within the passage, the long, sinuous sentences emphasize the
2. In the next to last sentence of the passage (lines 21–24), "devious curves" most likely is used to reinforce
3. The passage as a whole can best described as
4. The first sentence of the passage helps to establish tone by means of
5. Which of the following ideas can be supported based on the third sentence (lines 9–12) beginning with "And when I …"?
6. All of the following contribute to the feeling of solitude except:
7. The passage is organized primarily by means of
8. In the third to last sentence of the passage (lines 18–21) beginning with "Here and there . . . ," the figure of speech used to describe "the windings of the great river" is
9. The writer emphasizes his solitude by using all of the following rhetorical techniques except:
10. A characteristic of the author's style is
11. The tone of the passage can best be described as