AP English Literature and Composition Question 141: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
8. Based on Amory's observations of New York, which of the following conditions does he NOT attribute to poverty?
- A. Crowds of vile people on the subway
- B. Seedy, foul-smelling living quarters
- C. Unsanitary eating places
- D. The scorn of those who are not poor
- E. People's sense of hopelessness about escaping poverty
Correct Answer: E
(E) Choice (A) is discussed at length in the second paragraph (lines 9-24). As for (B), Amory envisions the squalid living conditions in lines 24-39. Choice (C) is mentioned in lines 36-39, and (D) is implied by the incident that Amory observes in lines 63-69. (E) is the best answer because no mention is made in the passage of people's despair over forever remaining in poverty.