AP English Literature and Composition Question 210: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
4. Which of the following best describes the prevailing poetic technique used in lines 8–15?
- A. Hyperbole that stresses the snake's malevolence
- B. Personification that endows the snake with a human personality
- C. Imagery that captures the snake's intimidating appearance
- D. Onomatopoetic words that replicate snake sounds
- E. Diction that suggests the snake's slithering movement
Correct Answer: E
(E) Smooth-sounding phrases such as "yellow-brown slackness soft-bellied down" (line 9) and "slack long body,/Silently" (lines 14-15) recreate the sinuous flow of the snake over the ground.