AP English Literature and Composition Question 235: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
4. The repeated use of "ashamed" in lines 4–23 indicates that Tanner
- A. wishes to emphasize the pervasiveness of shame
- B. hopes to provoke Ramsden into an argument
- C. expects Ramsden to take back his nasty remark about Tanner's impudence
- D. doubts that Ramsden can readily absorb the message
- E. wants to impress his listener with the breadth and depth of his thinking about the issue
Correct Answer: A
(A) Tanner harps on the word "ashamed"in arguing that people are conformists and that their fear of shame lies behind almost everything they do.