See All test questions
Questions 1-15 refer to the following information. Excerpt from The Awakening by Kate Chopin (pp. 1–6). Copyright © 1899 by Herbert S. Stone & Co.
Questions 1-15 refer to the following information.
Excerpt from The Awakening by Kate Chopin (pp. 1–6). Copyright © 1899 by Herbert S. Stone & Co.
1. The tone of the beginning of the passage is
2. In line 6, the word "his" is referring to
3. Lines 8–10 establish Mr. Pontellier as
4. The parrot's chatter made at the beginning of the passage helps to establish
5. In line 26, the word "quitting" means
6. Mr. Pontellier's attitude toward his companions on Grand Isle could be characterized as
7. In line 48, the word "sturdy" helps to establish
8. In lines 51–65, which word complements our understanding of Mr. Pontellier's personality?
9. The use of "the sunshade" to refer to the approach of two people is an example of
10. Lines 57–65 reveal:
I. Mr. Pontellier's dislike of Robert
II. Mr. Pontellier's contempt toward his wife
III. Mr. Pontellier's self-righteousness
11. In line 66, Mr. Pontellier uses which literary device to provoke a reaction from his wife?
12. Lines 68–77 serve to introduce
13. In line 86, the phrase "quite frankly" serves the purpose of
14. The description of the interactions between Mrs. Pontellier and Robert convey a tone of
15. Lines 85–89 serve to further clarify
I Mr. Pontellier's indifference toward his marriage
II Mr. Pontellier's disdain for his children
III Mr. Pontellier's fear of Robert's influence over his wife