See All test questions
Questions 1-13 refer to the following information.The selection is an excerpt from the novel Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope.
Questions 1-13 refer to the following information.
The selection is an excerpt from the novel Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope.
1. Which of the following descriptions is an example of the narrator's use of irony?
2. Mrs Proudie's authoritarian character is shown most pointedly in the phrase
3. The use of the word "titular" in line 4 is an example of
4. In the context of the passage, the phrase "if not voluntarily, yet willingly" (lines 6–7) is used to show Dr Proudie's attitude toward
5. The description of Mrs Grantly serves to
6. The narrator's attitude toward Mrs Proudie can best be described as one of
7. Which of the following best describes Dr Proudie's relationship to his wife?
8. The author attributes Dr Proudie's attitude and behavior most clearly to
9. In context, the word "character" (line 43) is best interpreted as meaning
10. What is the effect of the repetition of the phrase "Woe betide…" in the final paragraph?
11. In context, the adjective "recreant" (line 40) is best interpreted as meaning
12. Which of the following best describes the effect of the last paragraph?
13. The style of the passage as a whole can best be described as