AP Macroeconomics Question 291: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
4. Which of the following choices is most likely to create the greatest decrease in real GDP?
- A. The government decreases spending, matched with a decrease in taxes.
- B. The government increases spending with no increase in taxes.
- C. The government decreases spending with no change in taxes.
- D. The government holds spending constant while increasing taxes.
- E. The government increases spending, matched with an increase in taxes.
Correct Answer: C
C —Look for choices that decrease GDP by the largest magnitude. Choices B and E actually improve the economy (and GDP), so they are eliminated. A decrease in spending lowers GDP by a magnitude equal to the spending multiplier, which is larger than the tax multiplier, which in turn is larger than the balanced budget multiplier. This question is a prelude to fiscal policy.