AP Macroeconomics Question 33: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
7. Assume Astobia and Bonavia are countries that exercise free trade. If the real interest rate in Astobia decreases in comparison to Bonavia's real interest rate, then for Bonavia which of the following would be true of capital flow, the value of its currency, and its exports?
Capital Flow Currency Exports
- A. (A) outflow appreciation decrease
- B. (B) outflow appreciation increase
- C. (C) inflow depreciation decrease
- D. (D) inflow depreciation decrease
- E. (E) inflow appreciation decrease
Correct Answer: E
E Because Astobia's interest rate is now lower than Bonavia's, it would be more profitable for investors to invest in Bonavia's economy. Therefore, there would be an inflow of capital as more money comes into the country. This will cause Bonavia's currency to appreciate, which will increase the demand for Bonavia's currency. However, as Bonavia's currency appreciates, it will be more expensive for people from other countries to buy products from Bonavia, and therefore their exports will decrease. The answer is (E).