AP Physics 1 Question 153: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
3. Which of the following circuits shows a placement of meters and an observation of their readings that would allow researchers to experimentally demonstrate whether energy is conserved in the circuit?
- A. Researchers look to see whether the readings on voltmeters 1 and 2 add to the reading in voltmeter 3.
- B. Researchers look to see whether the voltmeter readings are equal.
- C. Researchers look to see whether the readings on ammeters 1 and 2 add to the reading in ammeter 3.
- D. Researchers look to see whether the ammeter readings are equal.
Correct Answer: A
A-The energy gained or lost by a charge as it goes through a circuit element is voltage, and a voltmeter measures voltage. In this circuit loop, any energy gained by charges across the battery must equal the energy lost by the charges through the two resistors; this is known as Kirchoff's Loop Rule.