AP Physics 1 Question 16: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
6. Three light bulbs, each with a resistance of R, are connected in parallel to a battery in a simple circuit. If the middle bulb goes out, then
- A. the other bulbs will also go out.
- B. the bulbs will stay on, and the current will increase.
- C. the bulbs will stay on, and the current will remain the same.
- D. the bulbs will stay on, and the current will decrease.
Correct Answer: D
D There is no break in the circuit for the other two bulbs, so they will remain lit. Because the resistors are in parallel, removing one will increase the total resistance of the circuit. The voltage of the battery is the same, so Ohm's Law tells us that increased resistance will result in decreased current.