AP Physics 1 Question 191: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
1. In section 5 of the velocity-versus-time graph, the object is
- A. speeding up moving in the positive direction
- B. slowing down moving in the positive direction
- C. speeding up moving in the negative direction
- D. slowing down moving in the negative direction
Correct Answer: D
Section 1 represents a constant positive speed. Section 2 shows an object slowing down, moving in the positive direction. Section 3 represents an object speeding up in the negative direction. Section 4 demonstrates a constant negative speed, and section 5 represents the correct answer: slowing down moving in the negative direction. Though the slope is positive, this corresponds to acceleration, indicating that the direction of acceleration is opposite to the direction of velocity and thus is slowing down. However, the section remains in the negative quadrant, and the velocity becomes slower but is still negative.