AP Physics 1 Question 246: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
1. A block attached to an ideal spring undergoes simple harmonic motion. The acceleration of the block has its maximum magnitude at the point where
- A. the speed is the maximum
- B. the speed is the minimum
- C. the restoring force is the minimum
- D. the kinetic energy is the maximum
Correct Answer: B
The acceleration of the block has its maximum magnitude at the points where its displacement from equilibrium has the maximum magnitude (since a = F/m = kx/m). At the endpoints of the oscillation region, the potential energy is maximized and the kinetic energy (and hence the speed) is zero.