AP Physics 1 Question 264: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
10. Two cars starting from the same position begin driving along the same horizontal axis. If Car A's horn emits a sound wave, which of the following pairs of velocities would result in the greatest difference between the wave's source frequency and the perceived frequency for Car B?
Car A Car B
- A. 20 m/s to the right 30 m/s to the right
- B. 10 m/s to the right 25 m/s to the right
- C. 10 m/s to the left 10 m/s to the right
- D. 30 m/s to the left 30 m/s to the left
Correct Answer: C
The degree to which the Doppler effect alters a wave's frequency is based on the relative motion between the wave's source and detector. In this case, the relative motion between the objects in the answer choices is 10 m/s, 15 m/s, 20 m/s, and 0 m/s. Therefore, the scenario in (C) will have the greatest difference between the source and detector.