AP Physics 1 Question 269: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
5. A sphere of charge +Q is fixed in position. A smaller sphere of charge +q is placed near the larger sphere and released from rest. The small sphere will move away from the large sphere with
- A. decreasing velocity and decreasing acceleration
- B. decreasing velocity and increasing acceleration
- C. increasing velocity and decreasing acceleration
- D. increasing velocity and increasing acceleration
Correct Answer: C
The acceleration of the small sphere is
As r increases (that is, as the small sphere is pushed away), a decreases. However, since a is always positive, the small sphere's speed, v, is always increasing.