AP Physics 1 Question 92: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
2. A person stands on a scale in an elevator. He notices that the scale reading is less than his usual weight. Which of the following could possibly describe the motion of the elevator?
- A. It is moving downward and slowing down.
- B. It is moving upward and slowing down.
- C. It is moving upward at a constant speed.
- D. It is moving downward at a constant speed.
Correct Answer: B
B-The scale reading is less than the man's weight; that means that the net force is downward. By Newton's second law, the person's acceleration is downward too. Downward acceleration means either moving down and speeding up, or moving up and slowing down. Only choice B works.