AP World History Question 16: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
6. The boundary lines on the map (Source 1) reflect which of the following?
- A. Natural barriers such as rivers and mountain ranges
- B. Traditional tribal divisions within African societies
- C. Linguistic differences
- D. European economic and political concerns
Correct Answer: D
The European colonization of Africa was decided by powerful individuals in Europe with very little concern for Africans' best interests. Even today, many of the national boundaries in Africa are reflective of decisions made in Europe during the late nineteenth century and do not necessarily reflect cultural, religious, tribal, or linguistic differences among African peoples. Choice (D) is the best answer.