AP World History Question 52: Answer and Explanation
Use your browser's back button to return to your test results.
2. Machiavelli's treatise is best understood in the context of which of the following?
- A. A time of burgeoning economic prosperity among the lower classes of Italian society
- B. A time of increasing religious devotion among the elite Italian scholars
- C. A time of intense political conflict among warring Italian city-states and other factions
- D. A time of collegial cooperation between scholars and ecclesiastical authorities in Italy
Correct Answer: C
At the time that this passage was written, Italy was governed by independent city-states that were often at war with each other, with the church, and with other nations such as France and Spain. Machiavelli's treatise is thus in some ways a reaction to the political uncertainty of his day, making (C) the best answer.